Horses are beautiful creatures to look at! Here are some interesting facts you need to know about them.
1. A male horse is called a stallion and a female is a mare. A male horse that has been castrated is known as a gelding.
2. Young horses have different names – a young male is called a foal and a young female is a filly.
3. A new born horse can walk and run after only a few hours of being born.
4. In total, there are 205 bones in a horse’s skeleton.
5. Horses that have been tamed generally live around 25 years of age. However, the earliest recorded domestic horse was Old Billy, who died at the age of 62.
6. When a horse is seen standing, do not think it is awake! These creatures can sleep on their feet or lie down.
7. A group of horses will not sleep at the same time – at least one of them will stay awake to take care of others.
8. Horses are often seen in the picture “laughing” or “smiling,” but this movement is actually to help them smell better.
9. They only eat plants, making them herbivores.
10. For a common horse, its maximum speed is approximately 27 miles per hour, although the fastest horse ever registered could reach 55 miles per hour!